The recent tragedy at a nursery in Qatar’s Villagio mall could have been averted if the management of the mall had practised the fire evacuation procedures. Apparently fire sprinklers malfunctioned, and exits were locked.
When fire erupts we are advised to take the stairs, because the lifts are shut down. Try walking down the stairs of your building during normal times and you will find the stairwell blocked with old furniture, bicycles and other odds and ends that have no space in the house. Now imagine in case of a fire when everyone is running out through the stairs, what will happen.
Take a photo of your stairwell, and send it to your landlord reminding him of the Qatar tragedy, or for that matter the other tragedies in UAE itself. Keep your stairwell clear, that could save your lives.