Dubai: An Indian couple in Dubai had allegedly turned their bedroom into a carbon monoxide chamber by burning charcoal to execute a suicide pact in which the husband died, Gulf News learnt on Monday.
As reported by this paper, V. Kumar, owner of an advertising firm, and his wife, who managed the couple’s silver jewellery store, were believed to have entered into the pact after sending their two young sons to a relative earlier this month. The couple had also sent their maid back home some days before the incident.
According to neighbours in Umm Hurair building in Karama, Kumar was found dead while his wife was rushed to Rashid Hospital on November 9. It was not clear how the couple, who hail from Andhra Pradesh, attempted to end their lives.
On Monday, the hospital issued a press release stating that a team of specialist doctors had succeeded in saving the life of an Asian woman, who was found unconscious next to her dead husband in their apartment after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Without identifying the woman, the hospital said the cause of the carbon monoxide leak in the woman’s apartment was not determined. However, the couple’s relatives and friends confirmed that the patient is indeed the wife of Kumar.
They also said that the couple had allegedly taken pain killers before burning charcoal in a vessel inside their bedroom.
According to the hospital, the woman arrived in a critical state and was treated by a team of specialised doctors led by Dr. Sara Kazim, Consultant Emergency Medicine and Medical Toxicologist.
Dr Kazim said the woman suffered a seizure on the way to the hospital and when she woke up she was complaining of headache and nausea.